It’s Thursday afternoon and the pain has finally let up a bit. Anybody who has had pain, will know that when one is in pain, it becomes difficult to concentrate on doing. So that is how I came to sitting in my rocking chair and resting.
On the rocking chair, I have a heating blanket which warms my back nicely and helps the muscles from spasming. So I sit back and often I find that I’ve fallen asleep. That’s always a good feeling.

So let me get back to the beginning of the week and just update you briefly. On Tuesday Esther took me to Boundary Trails Hospital for the blood work and pick dressing change. This didn’t take very long, but needed to be done in preparation for the chemotherapy on Wednesday.
I had talked to my mom about dropping in for coffee and so after we were done at the hospital, we stopped in at Cedar Estates at my moms. John and Linda Funk were also there and so we got some visiting done with them too. Mr Hamm from next door, knocked on the door to say hi as well.
After we had had coffee we stopped in at the Senior Center to rent ourselves a walker, in order to be able to return the other one I have been using, to the hospital.

I never knew that there were so many different types of cancer, which require many different kinds of treatments. Some people do chemo treatment once every 3 weeks, but then they come to the cancer care center for 3 days in a row. Some people come once every 3 weeks, for one day of chemo. And so it goes.

Anyway, during my time at the Cancer Center on Wednesday, Ron Neisteter from Choice Realty dropped in and visited with me and it was good for me to hear about things happening outside of my small world. From him I heard about happenings in the business world, house construction, housing sales, and news happening in Winkler in general.
Then Wes Harder from Choice Realty dropped in and he too had questions for me, but also news about things happening in their lives. He said his mom and dad were in Paraguay at the moment and were looking forward to connecting with friends and family in Bergthal, Sommerfeld and else where.

Thanks to both of you, Ron and Wes, for your visit.

I have also had some visitors coming to our house. Thanks to you too. After a quick phone call, we can usually determine whether it will be a good time or not and usually we can make something work. In order for me to not get too tired, it’s good to keep the visit short.
I enjoy inviting visitors to come upstairs to see the room in the hayloft. The place where I have my records, tapes and CD’s and equipment to produce Radio programs. And usually this is where we can sit and visit for a bit. Generally after a half hour visit or so, it feels really good to me to get back to the living room, back into the rocking chair with the heating blanket on. It helps relax the back muscles and unwind.

And now, as I write this on Thursday, I am relaxing again at home. My mom dropped in shortly after noon and my mother in law came a bit later on. It’s been a good day. And the temperature outside is above Zero. For this time of year, at the end of January, it’s pretty amazing to have such mild temperatures. I sure enjoy the sun streaming in our windows.

I feel like God has been doing a miracle in my body and continues to. Like I said earlier, having pain is not fun. But in comparison to the pain I suffered in July of last year, I need to remind myself to be thankful and not complain. I want to give thanks to God for everything and continue to leave my life in God’s hands.
And like I’ve said many times before, when my eyes open in the morning and I begin to move, I thank God for another day in which to live and glorify Him.

I also give thanks to God for all of you who are in contact with me and my family, praying for us and being an encouragement.

Finally, thank you for your help financially. Here’s why. After the doctors said I could leave the hospital, we end up being responsible for much of our own medication costs. Some is still covered by Manitoba Health, but the pills and pain patches, are not cheap and wow, these are expenses which we will need to track carefully to make sure we have the necessary funds to cover those costs.
Esther has been working on setting up a book keeping system, whereby we’ll be able to follow the amount of money we are spending on our trips to the hospital as well as the medication we are using.

During the coming weeks, I will try and keep you posted on how things are going. God bless you all and keep you safe.      Shalom, Carl